As a key member of the Mercia Investment Management team, you will be working with our Advisory Sector Head for Digital, evaluating investment prospects within Mercia’s existing managed fund portfolio as potential direct investment candidates and managing our existing direct portfolio investments, with a focus on wider digital landscape including digital entertainment. It is expected that you will be able to represent Mercia as a Non-exec Director on the boards of some of our investee companies.
REPORTING TO: Chief Investment Officer – dotted line to Advisory Sector Head for Digital
PRIMARY OFFICE LOCATION: Primary office location – prefer Henley-in-Arden
JOB PROFILE (Key Features):
You will be responsible for:
- Providing guidance and support to the Mercia team and portfolio, specifically around the development of highly competitive businesses within the digital sector.
- Driving activity within the Digital sector by establishing relationships with Mercia’s partner universities and network as well as through your own network, seeking out highly innovative technologies and partnering with entrepreneurs, with the intention of building world-class businesses.
- Completing investments, including negotiation of terms, preparation of investment documentation.
- Managing the due diligence process and control of the legal agreements.
- Proactively supporting the digital portfolio, providing real value to the business building process, including assuming seats on the Boards of portfolio companies and assisting with the recruitment of leadership teams, advising on product development, business models, partnering strategies, business development and value realisation.
- Reporting of investment progress to the Fund Principals/ CIO/Advisory Sector Head.
- Post-investment monitoring of investments, including exit management.
- Serving as a key member of the Mercia investment team, collaborating with Investment Directors, The CIO and CEO, driving investment strategies which will further the group’s ambitions.
- Researching sector and subsectors where appropriate.
JOB HOLDER (Qualifications & Experience):
- Strong track record within the digital sector, ideally with a blend of large and small company experience and a deep insight into emerging trends.
- Management experience within early stage tech/digital based businesses.
- Understanding of the digital sector from the perspective of technology and product development.
- Capable of diving into a diverse technology business models, quickly gauging their technical and commercial viability.
- Played a key role within a young, high growth digital business that has ideally realised an exit.
- Understanding of venture capital groups, their activities, priorities and culture.
- Experience of working with the Boards of investee companies.
- FCA threshold competent or equivalent.
JOB HOLDER (Personal Attributes):
- Sound commercial acumen and analytical skills, able to ask the right questions and deliver valuable insights.
- Objective and independent, capable of constructing solid cases for and against certain strategies and key decisions.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Ambitious and self-motivated.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills. At ease developing relationships with entrepreneurs, academics, other investors and key players.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a degree is strongly preferred.
- Experience of financial analysis, with strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: email@example.com